The history of The Pharmacy Museum began in the year 1938. By merging the private collection of Latvian pharmacist Dāvis Blūmentāls (1871 – 1937) and the personal collection of Professor Jānis Maizīte (1883 – 1950), as well as the archive of Rīga and Kurzeme pharmacist societies, the museum was established on the premises of the LU Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry (Rīga, Baznīcas iela 5).
After the death of Professor Jānis Maizīte, his collection was united with the collection of Pauls Stradiņš, and on this foundation, in 1957, the official establishment of the Pauls Stradiņš Museum of the History of Medicine took place. As the collection of pharmacy history exceeded 50,000 units, in 1985 a decision was taken to establish an independent Pharmacy (Drugstore) Museum at the address Riharda Vāgnera iela 13. It was established on November 14, 1986 as an affiliate of the Pauls Stradiņš Museum, but for visitors it has open since March 21, 1988.
The building itself is dated as a residential house, which is an architecture monument of the 18th century. In the 19th century, carriage master Goblens lived here, but during Soviet times there were communal flats.
The building is notable with its rococo portal and door kit characteristic for the “Carriage master house”.